Wing Yip, the UK’s leading Oriental grocer has announced the 14 young chefs due to compete in their Young Chef of the Year competition finals.
The ultimate stage of the competition is due to take place on 4 April.
The contestants, a mixture of catering students and young chefs from across the UK, will compete at a live cook-off at University College Birmingham to be judged by Woky Ko founder Larkin Cen, president of the British Culinary Federation Peter Griffiths and Michelin-starred-chef Glynn Purnell.
This year the competition’s first round called for applicants to submit a written entry consisting of a traditional street-food dish and a main course of their choice served in a bowl. Alongside the title, the winning finalist will receive a £750 cash prize, as well as a stage with MasterChef finalist Cen at his restaurant.
We wish all the contestants the best of luck!
This Year’s Finalists:
- Sophie Botting, House of Commons
- Ryan Hyslop, South and City College (Bournville Campus)
- Darnell Barrett, University College Birmingham
- Konstantinos Spyrou, University College Birmingham
- Chloe Lloyd-Hughes, North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College
- Ryan Howarth, North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College
- Mukhtar Hassan, JLR Solihull (Compass)
- Kit De’ath, De Montford University (Compass)
- Amelia Ng, Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
- Chad Moon, The ICC (Amadeus)
- Ben Webster, The Belfry Hotel and Resort
- Phoenix De-Giorgi, Saunton Sands
- Russell Letts, OPUS
- Sara Lang-Harding, Dine Contract Catering